Don Mariano Ospina Rodriguez returned to Colombia with his wife Enriqueta and their children on October of 1871. They relocated in the town of Fredonia, near the city of Medellin, province of Antioquia, where they continued their coffee business, enterprise and plantations.
In 1880, the National Press of Colombia published the first instructional manual for coffee growing, written by Don Mariano, titled "Cultivo del Cafe; Nociones elementales al alcance de todos los labradores" (Coffee Growing; Basic notions available to all farmers).
Don Mariano dedicated much of his efforts to educating others about coffee and coffee growing. In 1882, Don Mariano and his two sons, Mariano and Tulio, established their first of several large scale coffee plantations and organized their larger and industrial processing plants and facilities in the town of "El Cerro Bravo", municipality of Fredonia. The first mechanized pulpers and mills to be used in Colombia were introduced and operated in this plantation.
The operations of coffee growing, processing and exporting to Europe and the USA were all guided and directed by Don Mariano Ospina Rodriguez until the day of his death, on January 11, 1885.
By 1888, the best known coffee were "Jonas" belonging to Don Mariano Ospina Vasquez, "El Amparo" belonging to Don Tulio Ospina Vasquez, "La Caraboya" belonging to their cousins Barrientos and, "Gualanday" belonging to the heirs of General Rafael Uribe. These four coffee plantations produced 48% of all the coffee grown in the province of Antioquia.
Yours most truly,